«The truth is that we are called to love, that He is always with us and that all He is, is ours. Everything is there.»
(Mary of the Passion, Spiritual Notes,1888)
When Mary of the Passion - at the age of 37 - undertook to found the Institute of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, she could not guess what the future held in store for her. But, she places herself in the hands of the One who loves her deeply and God works in her.
In Rome on the 6th January 1877, the Feast of the Epiphany, Pope Pius IX authorized the foundation of the Missionaries of Mary specially dedicated to the missions, in the Diocese of Coïmbatour. The sisters in Ootacamund like those in Rome welcomed this news with joy.
From its origins, the FMM Charism was lived in international and intercultural communities.
The face of our fraternal communities – like a rainbow – was composed of sisters from different peoples, nations, languages and cultures who welcomed one another as a gift from God.
In this way, the communities witness to unity in diversity. This characteristic offers the possibility, together with others, of creating bridges which unite beyond the differences.